AREA GOLF COURSES
Westchester County (www.golfwestchester.com) has many changeling golf courses, including 6 public County Courses and at last count, 59 Private Courses. County golf courses offer discounts to those who have a Westchester County Park Pass (available close by at Blue Mountain Reservation) and the E-Z Reserve program, enabling golfers with a Westchester County Park Pass to block out starting tee times for a series of weeks.
Westchester’s public course include the following:
- Dunwoodie – Located in Dunwoodie Heights in the City of Yonkers is characterized by dramatic topography and steep slopes. Dunwoodie has practice greens, a driving range which is lighted, and a multi-purpose catering facility in the clubhouse. (914) 231-3490
- Hudson Hills – 400 Croton Dam Road, Ossining, NY 10562. Hudson Hills, the largest and newest of the public courses, is a 7000-yard, par 71, champion course in a beautiful and challenging setting in the Hudson River Valley. Hudson Hills offers golfers a social center in the clubhouse with a pro shop and the Lookout Grill. (914) 864-3000
- Maple Moor – Originally part of the Griffen Family farm, this course is named for its abundance of majestic Maple Trees. This land was acquired by the Westchester County Parks Commission in 1925. By the end of 1927, the 18-hole course was unveiled to the public. Maple Moor has a practice green and a catering facility in the clubhouse. (914) 995-9200.
- Mohansic Golf Course – 1500 Baldwin Rd. Yorktown Hts. NY 10598 (easy access of the Taconic Parkway at the Baldwin Rd Exit). Mohansic is known to be the most challenging of the county golf courses because of its rolling hills and steep slopes. This is about a 15-minute drive from River House. Mohansic also has an excellent Pro Shop, a driving range, a practice green, locker rooms, and a restaurant with catering. (914) 862-5283.
- Saxon Woods – 315 Mamaroneck Road, Scarsdale, NY 10583. Saxon Woods is known for its tremendous character because of its rolling wooded landscape. This course opened to the public in 1931. This course has a pro shop, a restaurant with catering, a driving range, locker rooms, and a practice green. (914) 231-3461.
- Sprain Lake Golf Course – 290 East Grassy Sprain Road, Yonkers, NY. This course is characterized by its small greens, rolling terrain, water hazards, and many challenging shots. Sprain Lake offers locker rooms, a practice greens, a driving range, a pro shop and a restaurant with catering. (914) 231-3481.
A sampling of the private Golf Clubs in Westchester, includes, Anglebrook Golf Club in Lincolndale; Bonnie Briar Country Club in Larchmont; Doral in Rye Brook; Glen Arbor Golf Club in Bedford Hills; Westchester Hills in White Plains; Scarsdale Gulf Club, Quaker Ridge and Fenway Golf Clubs in Scarsdale; Hampshire Country Club in Mamaroneck, Hollow Brook Golf Club in Cortlandt Manor; Hudson National in Croton-on-Hudson; Saint Andrew’s Golf Club in Hastings on The Hudson; Sleepy Hollow Country Club in Briarcliff Manor; Whippoorwill Country Club in Armonk; Wing Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck; Mt. Kisco Country Club in Mt. Kisco; Pelham Country Club in Pelham Manor; Pound Ridge Golf Course (Public) in Pound Ridge; Westchester Country Club in Rye; Willow Ridge Country Club in Harrison; and Trump International in Briarcliff Manor. There are many other Golf Clubs in nearby Putnam, Dutchess, and Rockland Counties.
Of Special note, is the Pocantico Hills Golf Course. Originally, part of the 3400-acre Rockefeller Family Estate, just northeast of Sleepy Hollow, Pocantico Hills Golf Course lies adjacent to Kykuit, the John D. Rockefeller’s estate. While the mansion and its grounds are open to the public for guided tours, the golf course remains strictly off-limits to all, except for Rockefeller family members and specially invited guests.
Traveling north, and close by in Putnam County is the Garrison Golf Club, www.thegarrison.com/golf, (845-424-4747). The garrison is open to the public. This golf course, an 18-hole, Par 72 championship course, is just a short 15-minute drive from River House. It positioned 800 feet above the Hudson River, opposite West Point, with stunning views of the Hudson Highlands. Few courses in the country are blessed with such a picturesque setting as the Garrison. The Garrison also has an Inn and The Valley Restaurant, designed by famed architect, Tony Chi. It’s the perfect backdrop for stunning views of the Hudson River Valley and the Hudson Highlands. The Valley’s Terrace is known for its breath-taking setting. The Valley Restaurant Hosts Weddings and Special Events, in addition to Brunch and Dinner.
Other notable Golf Clubs in close by Putnam County include The Putnam County Golf Club in Mahopac, Centennial Golf Club in Carmel, Mahopac Golf Club, in Mahopac, and The Sedgewood Country Club in Carmel,
Venturing up the western banks of the Hudson, off Route 9W, passionate golfers will find one of the oldest Golf courses in the country, The Storm King Golf Club. This course, located at 18 Ridge Road, Cornwall, NY 12518, was designed in 1894 by professional golfer, Willie Norton and has stood the test of time. Also, nearby is The West Point Golf Club, located at the Historic United States Military Academy, 603 Cullum Road, West Point NY. This Robert Trent Jones Sr. designed course is open to the public and features some of the best conditions in the Hudson Valley.